PP

PUBLIC
PRACTICE

Planning for the public good
Building capacity for public planning
Creating a new generation of planners
 

About

Public Practice is placing a new generation of planners within local government to shape places for the public good. It will build the public sector’s capacity to deliver homes and growth, make better places, and share skills and knowledge across authorities.

HOW WE WORK
Public Practice acts as a broker, selecting outstanding Associates and matching them to Authorities in need of additional planning and placemaking expertise. As a not-for-profit social enterprise, it offers Authorities a cost-effective model to build the public sector’s capacity over the longer-term. As a placement programme, it gives Associates unique place-based roles to deliver change on the ground, alongside industry-leading training and development. And as a network of leading planning practitioners, it seeks to build a body of collective knowledge and research to be shared across the sector.

OUR OFFER

AUTHORITIES
Public Practice offers access to a new pool of talent at a significantly lower cost than recruitment agencies, as well as opportunities for learning, networking, and sharing collective knowledge. Authorities interested in hosting a placement are supported by Public Practice to define the role and select an Associate from shortlisted candidates. Authorities employ Associates on one year fixed-term contracts, or secondments from their existing employers, for salaries of between £30,000 – £50,000. Authorities may be local or city government, combined authorities, development corporations, or publicly-led delivery vehicles.

ASSOCIATES
Public Practice offers a unique and prestigious public sector placement, and the opportunity to be part of a multidisciplinary cohort producing collective research, developing new digital technologies, and receiving high quality training. Associates will be selected through an annual recruitment round. Successful Associates will work in place-based roles within Authorities for 90% of their time, and spend the remaining 10% carrying out collective research and development as a cohort, supported by Public Practice. Associates may be planners, architects, urban designers, landscape architects, regeneration or historic environment experts – or practitioners with backgrounds in other fields, from data science to social sciences. They will typically expected to have a minimum of three years’ experience in practice.

SUPPORTERS
Public Practice offers a platform to invest strategically in improving the speed, certainty and quality of public planning. Supporters’ sponsorship and grant funding will cover the running costs of Public Practice at a programme level, preventing any conflicts of interest. In return, Supporters will be given the opportunity to collaborate on collective research, participate in events, and receive public acknowledgement of their support. Supporters may be government bodies, grant makers, developers or built environment consultants who recognise that good expertise in Local Authorities is essential to bring about good development.


PEOPLE

TEAM
Finn Williams Chief Executive Officer, Public Practice

We are currently recruiting for a Director of Operations and Programme Coordinator. Please see the job descriptions for more information and details of how to apply.

BOARD
Jules Pipe Deputy Mayor of London for Planning, Regeneration & Skills (Chair)
Danna Walker Founding Director, Built by Us
Lucy Musgrave Founding Director, Publica
Sarah Cary Head of Sustainable Places, British Land
Vincent Lacovara Placemaking Team Leader, Croydon Council
Debbie Jackson Assistant Director, GLA Regeneration (Observer)
Pooja Agrawal Senior Project Officer, GLA Regeneration (Observer)
PATRONS
Lord Kerslake Chair, Peabody
FOUNDING PARTNERS

Mayor of London
Local Government Association
Future Cities Catapult
British Land
Berkeley Group
Peabody

 

Apply

AUTHORITIES
Authorities considering hosting placements are invited to submit expressions of interest by midday Monday 11 December. The first cohort will be based across London, the South East, and East of England. Following cohorts will look to expand to a wider geography based on the level of interest.

ASSOCIATES
Potential Associates are invited to apply for the first cohort by midday Monday 11 December.

SUPPORTERS
Public Practice welcomes the support of organisations that recognise the importance of good public planning and share our understanding of the value of investing in it.